Tuesday, April 29, 2008

progression.


Last week I met with a manager at Covenant House. She gave me a tour and answered all my questions. I was there for about 2 hours and it went really well. I learned a lot from that meeting and it was different than I had anticipated...I can't quite articulate exactly how yet, just different.
I also had two more interviews with youth last week. I had my first interview with a woman, which was great because I was really hoping that women would come forward. 
I had my first cancellation as well! Up until now I have interviewed 5 youth and will hopefully be interviewing a couple more.
I have learned a lot from all the conversations with the youth.
I have been thinking about how very important it is to hear people's voices and to learn about their lived experiences.  
The youth I have spoken to have been teaching me about possible solutions and about the things they need most when trying to access a service.
I have been listening while they have been speaking....and it has been enlightening..

On Friday I interviewed Lorraine (Health Promoter) at Shout.  Lorraine has been my primary contact person at Shout and she has been really wonderful and helpful.  The interview with her was different than the other interviews I had done at organizations, as she seemed to be really progressive with her ideas and understanding of the issues at hand as they relate to queer youth and homelessness.  My meeting with her felt like an opening to ideas and thoughts....
My next step is to get moving with my transcribing and on Monday May 5th I begin the MRP course, which I am looking forward to. It will be interesting to hear where the other students in the program are at with their MRP's.

No comments: